IPL(Intense Pulsed Light)
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is a broadband pulsed light source, which use intense pulses of non-coherent light distributed over a range of wavelengths; from 400nm to 1200nm. The technology utilizes specific wavelength ranges to target various chromophores in the skin.For IPL treatments, an average of 8–10 treatments are required to remove most visible hair.
What is IPL?
IPL stands for intense pulsed light, and it is a form of light therapy, used for various dermatological procedures including hair removal, skin rejuvenation, wrinkles reduction, skin tightening, skin whitening and increase the elasticity. IPL remove freckles, pigmentations, age spots, and sun spots.
How does IPL work for hair removal?
Broad spectrum pulsed light is transmitted through a continuously cooled applicator, gently placed over the skin. Cut-off filters in the handpiece change the range of wavelengths, optimizing it for different applications and skin types. The light penetrates the tissue and is absorbed by either the relevant chromophores and damages them (blood chromophores when treating vascular lesions and melanin chromophores when treating pigmented lesions). IPL works like a flash-lamp, sending out scattered wavelengths of light, making IPL very targeted. That also means it affects the pigment in your skin too, so IPL only really works for those with fair skin and dark hair.The body’s natural processes then clear the lesion debris, giving the skin a more even and youthful appearance.
What is the difference between Laser and IPL hair removal?
The key difference between laser and IPL is the type of light. IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is a broadband pulsed light source, whereas laser is a monochromatic coherent light source. Both methods target the melanin in the hair follicle and permanent results can be expected from both. Professional laser treatment is working more selective and therefore the very high energy will focus on the hair follicle rather than surrounding skin. Therefore Professional laser hair removal machine will lead to fast results as well as being suitable to darker skin tones. Energy, frequency and hair colour are all determining factors in the efficacy of the treatment, while the light source, whether it is a laser or an intense pulsed flash light plays a minor role.
Both hair reduction methods are great choices but choose the treatment you think fits your needs best whether that budget or the type of hair you have. Here is a comparison of the two:
- IPL is a more affordable option but may require more treatments
- Lasers (such as 808nm diode laser hair removal machines) are more precise because they are more specific at targetting individual hairs
- Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second, so treatment times are fast
- Both can treat the same areas
- Both have different settings and can be adjusted to suit patient’s specific needs
- IPL attacks larger sections at once
- Being more precise may mean laser is more suited to treating darker skin tones
- Larger areas may be treated at short time.
- It works equally well with light or dark hair and skin.
- There is less chance for scarring and pigmentation change.
- Less pain and discomfort compared to other hair removal treatments.
- It is very beautiful in shape. It’s attractive. You and your clients will love it
- Treatment is safe, effective, efficient and pain free.
SKIN TIGHTENING WITH & IPL
Our system uses two powerful technologies at the same time to give the best treatment results. Skin tightening & rejuvenation treatment is performed using Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Radio Frequency (RF) which are both used to create some outstanding improvements:
- Remove fine red veins often across the nose and upper cheeks.
- Destroy brown pigment, age spots and sun damage spots.
- Stimulate collagen production below the skin’s surface.
- Treat stretch marks, depending on colour and type.
- Skin tightening heats and increases collagen production and therefore gives a lifted and tighter skin. Ideally, PrettyLasers’s machine can treat the sides of your face to tighten the skin and overcome the effects of gravity. Skin rejuvenation or skin tightening combination treatments are the ultimate procedures for improved texture, whilst also lifting and smoothing the skin.
The IPL Hair Removal Before & After Pictures
Are there any side effects of intense pulsed light therapy?
Side effects of IPL are minor and include:
- Pain during treatment (reduced by contact cooling and if necessary, topical anaesthetic)
- Skin turning pink and a little sore immediately after the procedure.
- A sensation of a mild sunburn (redness, peeling, swelling) that may last a few days after treatment.
- Rarely, skin pigment may absorb too much light energy and blistering can occur.
- Sometimes the pigment cells (melanocytes) can be damaged leaving darker or paler patches of skin. White patches or scars are rarely permanent.
- Hair loss may occur.
- Bruising affects up to 10% of patients
- Redness and irritation
The PrettyLasers IPL Solution
PrettyLasers offers a unique IPL soultion with effective, safety, pain free and ease of use.