Why Choose Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal can remove unwanted hair, be it from a condition that causes excess hair growth or just the desire for a new look. Most individuals will require a series of treatments over time which will result in the removal of unwanted hair. Most of the lasers and light sources are FDA cleared for permanent hair reduction, which means reduction over time. Some individuals will see very long-term hair removal which may last for many years. Others may require maintenance treatments over time to maintain their degree of hair loss. It is truly impossible to determine in advance who will require how many treatments and how long the hair will remain gone. As stated above, laser hair removal works best in those with dark hairs on lighter skin,
It is truly impossible to determine in advance who will require how many treatments and how long the hair will remain gone. As stated above, laser hair removal works best in those with dark hairs on lighter skin, however, newer technologies and newer lasers and light sources have made the procedure safe and effective in those with darker skin and those individuals of color.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a non-invasive procedure in which a laser is used to reduce the growth of body hair. It is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures that people undergo to get rid of unwanted hair. In this procedure, a concentrated beam of light is targeted at the melanin (a type of pigment) in your hair. The light converts into heat and damages the hair follicle, thus inhibiting or delaying hair growth.
Here are some of the main benefits of laser hair removal:
- Perhaps the biggest advantage of getting a laser hair removal procedure done is that you will enjoy an elevated level of confidence. When you know that you are always looking good and have the ability to wear any kind of outfit, at the shortest notice without having to worry about unwanted hair peeking out, you are sure to feel confident and great at all times.
- Once you’ve done your series of treatments (usually 6-10) every 4-6 weeks, most people are then in the “touch-up” phase and only need maintenance treatments 2-3 times a year.
- The fact that there are next to no side effects to hair removal means that this is the perfect option for when you want long-term hair removal options. You might have a little swelling or redness, but these will not last for more than a few hours. And do more sessions, you will be able to bid farewell to these unwanted hairs forever.
- There might be those who would be worried about the average cost of laser hair removal treatment, but when you do a proper calculation, you will come to the conclusion that in the long run, it will work out extremely cost-effectively. After the requisite sessions, you will not have to invest in razor blades, hair removal creams, or make trips to the salon for waxing. Not only will you save money, but also a lot of time, because you will no longer have to be hassled with hair removal methods that you had used all this time.
- Lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Laser hair removal is a very precise procedure, which means that no matter where you want the hair removed, it is possible. What is even better about getting a laser hair removal procedure done is that it is an extremely fast process – each session will not last for more than 30-45 minutes and you might need anywhere between three to five sessions for complete hair removal.
- If you have been removing hair using a razor, then you definitely need to consider laser hair removal, because there will be no more worry about nicks and cuts. In addition, with a razor, there is always the chance of ingrown hair; but once you get a laser hair removal procedure done, you will not have to worry about any such problems.
- With procedures such as waxing, you often need to wait for a while, because this kind of hair removal method needs to have hair at a certain length for proper removal. However, when you decide to get laser hair removal done, you have nothing to worry about, because once the hair has been removed, there is nothing you need to do, anymore.
- Saving your time, it is said that people spend an average of 70 hours a year getting rid of unwanted hair. With a permanent reduction of hair, you will no longer need to add countless hours to your already overwhelming daily beauty rituals. Time is money, that is reason enough to invest in laser hair removal.
- One of the greatest hidden benefits of getting laser hair removal done is that you will always be ready and no matter what the outfit, you will be able to wear it with ease. The most common areas of the body where unwanted hair is seen include arms, legs, and underarms. Once you have gotten laser hair removal done, no matter what the occasion and what kind of outfit you need to wear, you will always be prepared.
And finally, one of the biggest advantages of getting laser hair removal is that you will get to enjoy smooth, silky skin that will always look toned and gorgeous!
How To Prepare For Laser Hair Removal
If you have made up your mind to undergo laser hair removal, prepare yourself before fixing an appointment. Here’s a checklist you need to follow:
- Avoid waxing and/or plucking hair from the area where the procedure will be done.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for at least six weeks before the procedure. (You will also need to avoid it for six weeks after the procedure).
- Avoid using products that might irritate your skin.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory drugs that might increase the risk of bleeding.
- If you have a skin infection, rash, or cold sore, avoid undergoing the procedure.
- Avoid undergoing laser hair removal if you are pregnant.
Laser hair removal is performed by a licensed esthetician. Here is what you can expect during the procedure.
What To Expect During The Procedure
- Before the procedure, the esthetician will clean the area on which the procedure will be performed.
- If you are getting it done on a relatively sensitive area (like the bikini line), the esthetician may apply a numbing gel.
- You will be asked to wear protective eye gear to prevent any damage from the laser.
- The esthetician will focus a light beam on the particular area of your body to remove the hair.
Wondering if laser hair removal hurts? Well, it depends. Some people who underwent the procedure reported feeling minor discomfort (such as a warm pinprick on the skin) and some reported a sunburn-like stinging. Find out the common side effects of laser hair removal treatment in the next section.